- 1 (15-ounce) can Chickpeas or 1½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup Fresh lemon juice About 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup Well-stirred Tahini
- 1 small Garlic clove, minced about 1 tbsp.
- 2 tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp. Water
- Dash of ground paprika or sumac, for serving
Combine the Tahini and Lemon Juice and process for 1 minute, then scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, then process again for 30 seconds. This extra time helps to whip the tahini, making the hummus smooth and creamy.
Add the Olive Oil, Minced Garlic, Cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon of Salt to the whipped Tahini and Lemon Juice. Process for 30 seconds, then scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, then process for another 30 seconds.
Open, drain, and rinse the chickpeas. Then add them to a large bowl of water, and lightly rub and squeeze the chickpeas together to remove the hulls, so you can strain off the hulls.
Add the Chickpeas to the food processor and process for 2-4 minutes until thick and quite smooth.
If the hummus is too thick, or stills has tiny bits of chickpea, while the food processor turned on, slowly add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water until you reach the perfect consistency.